Ensuring a secure environment for civil aviation operations
The primary mandate of the aviation security (AVSEC) department is to safeguard passengers, crew, ground personnel, the public, aircraft etc. against acts of unlawful interference perpetrated on the ground or in flight. The department is responsible for ensuring compliance to aviation security matters prescribed by Namibia Civil Aviation Act 2016 (Act No. 6 of 2016) and Namibia Civil Aviation Regulations (NAMCARs).
The main functions of the AVSEC department include the following:
- Development and amendment of operational regulations and technical standards pursuant to the Civil Aviation Act No. 6 of 2016.
- Development and maintenance of technical guidance material for the industry to ensure compliance.
- Certification of Aviation Security Training Organisations and aviation security service providers.
- Certification of aviation security personnel i.e. aviation security screeners, supervisors, instructors, and inspectors.
- Approval of aviation security programmes for airport operators, airlines/air carriers, in-flight catering operators, air navigation service provider.
- Oversight of aviation security and Facilitation in Namibia.
Our Section Documents