AIR NAVIGATION SERVICES SAFETY OVERSIGHT
The primary mandate of the Air Navigation Services Safety Oversight (ANSSO) department involves oversighting of Air Traffic Services; Search and Rescue; Aeronautical Information Services; Cartographic Services; Flight Procedure Design; Communication, Navigation and Surveillance Services; and Aeronautical Meteorological Services. The department ensures that such Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSPs) within the Windhoek Flight Information Region (FIR) maintain a safe, regular and efficient ANS system and comply with the provisions under Namibia Civil Aviation Regulations (NAMCARs), Part 71, 93, 170 - 175 & 179, pursuant to Namibia Civil Aviation Act 2016 (Act No. 6 of 2016).
The main functions of the ANSSO department include the following:
- Development and amendment of operational regulations and technical standards pursuant to the Civil Aviation Act No. 6 of 2016.
- Development of procedures and guidance material for safety oversight and regulatory compliance of ANS providers as well as airspace users.
- Managing the regulatory certification process for Air Navigation Service Providers.
- Process approval for the designation of airspace classification and usage.
- Surveillance of the Air Navigation Service providers
- Approval of Flight Instrument Procedures, Aeronautical Cartographic Services and Aeronautical Publications.
- Provide Secretariate function to the National Airspace Committee.
Our Section Documents