AERODROMES AND GROUND AIDS
Safety regulation of aerodromes to ensure a safe operational environment
The primary mandate of the Aerodromes and Ground Aids (AGA) department is to ensure that the Aerodromes (Aerodromes and Heliports) under the jurisdiction of the state of Namibia offer a safe operational environment as per Namibia Civil Aviation Act 2016 (Act No. 6 of 2016). The department is responsible for ensuring that all Aerodrome operators comply with the provisions under Namibia Civil Aviation Regulations (NAMCARs), Part 139.
The main functions of the AGA department include the following:
- Development and amendment of operational regulations and technical standards pursuant to the Civil Aviation Act No. 6 of 2016.
- Development and maintenance of technical guidance material for the industry to ensure compliance.
- Certification and licensing of Aerodromes.
- Registration of Aerodromes.
- Approval and establishment of Obstacle Limitation Surfaces within the vicinity of an Aerodrome.
- Conducting surveillance activities to ensure that Aerodrome operators comply with NAMCARs, Part 139.
- Investigating and resolving Aerodrome related safety concerns.
- Approval of Non-licensed Helicopters and emergency landing sites.